Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Technical Difficulties

Can you all do me a favor?

Hum to yourself your favorite muzak tune while reading the following:

Your readership of our blog and web site are very important to us. Please stand by while we work to improve our level of service. We will be with you shortly.

You can stop humming now. Unless you are my mom, in which case you will continue to hum for the rest of the day, and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Anyway, my point in this little exercise is to say to the two or three of you who are still checking on our blog and/or web site that we have been experiencing some significant technical difficulties over the past several months. For example: the hard drive of the computer that I used for the majority of record keeping, web site maintenance, etc fried a few months ago. I thought it was a virus, and if it had been, well I could have retrieved most of the data. Since the hard drive fried, there was nothing to retrieve. And this was the year I had actually been keeping records of everything as I went along. To make it all worse, I thought I had done a major data back up in August (turns out it was April), and I had missed backing up most of the new product labels I had made. This may not sound like a big deal, but it did represent hours and hours of work. And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Add in some major problems with one of my web host companies, and a health issue that rendered me useless for the first half of November, plus the passing of my grandma just a week and a half before I was supposed to visit her, and the last quarter of 2009 was a bit complicated.

Now that the end of year craziness is over, I am hoping to tackle several of the technical difficulties that have popped up lately one by one. So please, bear with us. I have six weeks or so until kidding season starts, and I am planning on spending most of that time in front of the computer, getting the web site back up to date, and hopefully getting a few posts up as well.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Oh no Sarah! I'm so sorry to hear that. I must admit I was kinda wondering why your site hadn't been updated in... 4 months. It is such a pain to have to re-do graphic design work; we've been using rainy days to work on our farm website and it has been a major time suck. But, I hope that 2010 is looking up for you and that your new computer behaves itself!
In Castle Rock progeny news, I am taking 3 of your girls (Elizabeth, plus Tuxedo and Sedona, the doelings out of Tequila and Annabelle) to the large animal vet tomorrow to see if Gobi (buckling out of Infinity) got the job done. I hope he did so I'll have some adorable kids to enchant the guests at my wedding.
Hope to see you up in Sonoma County sometime!
-Lynda